Sunday, January 23, 2011

Luminous Years, Sanjay, Upcoming Lectures & More - Update:

It has been just about a week since my last post and boy do I have a world of knowledge to post! Literally. This week was a pretty incredible!  Filled with knowledge, family and ART!  I am still on my journey to find a mentor.  I have two big meetings coming up.  BP and LC. I will give you the update and let you know how it goes next week.  My parents came to Houston from Florida to help my brother move from Houston to Iowa.  From his residency to his fellowship in ophthalmology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophthalmology - could not be prouder :).  Mom and dad are so wonderful and spending time with them is always beautiful.  We went fine dining (Peces) and I was really inspired by a painting with out an artist name but I was bold enough to take a picture...ha, could not help myself.  

Pat Johnston, artist and dear friend invited me over her house and lent me quite a treasure - History of Modern Art - H.H. Arnason and then we had the chance to enjoy eating her home made sandwiches and the joy of watching:  The Paris - The Luminous Years.  This was a film about the first three decades of the last century in Paris were collectively a watershed moment in Western culture. Just listing the names of some AND MY FAVORITE of the artists working at that time suggests the significance of being at the right place at the right time:
Pablo Picasso & Gertrude Stein
Pablo Ruiz Picasso (1881-1973) was the rare famous painter whose influence on the history of painting was inarguable during his life.  One of his earliest collectors was Gertrude Stein, an American expatriate who studied at Radcliffe and Harvard before becoming an early collector of avant-garde art paintings.  With her brothers, Leo and Michael, Gertrude moved to Paris in 1903;shortly she owned a leading contemporary art collection as well as the leading salon for post World War II intellectuals, whom she defined as the "lost generation".  


Igor Stravinsky -Russian-born, naturalised French, later naturalised American composer, pianist, and conductor.
He is widely acknowledged as one of the most important and influential composers of 20th century music.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Stravinsky

Diaghilev- usually referred to outside of Russia as Serge, was a Russian art critic, patron, ballet impresario and founder of the Ballets Russes, from which many famous dancers and choreographers would later arise.

Nijinsky-  was a Russian ballet dancer and choreographer of Polish descent. He grew to be celebrated for his virtuosity and for the depth and intensity of his characterizations. He could perform en pointe, a rare skill among male dancers at the time (Albright, 2004) and his ability to perform seemingly gravity-defying leaps was also legendary.

Hemingway - American author and journalist. His distinctive writing style, characterized by economy andunderstatement, influenced 20th-century fiction, as did his life of adventure and public image. He produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. Hemingway's fiction was successful because the characters he presented exhibited authenticity that resonated with his audience.

Marcel Duchamp - was a French artist whose work is most often associated with the Dadaistand Surrealist movements. Duchamp's output influenced the development of post-World War I Western art. He advised modern art collectors, such as Peggy Guggenheim and other prominent figures, thereby helping to shape the tastes of Western art during this period.[1]
A playful man, Duchamp challenged conventional thought about artistic processes and art marketing, not so much by writing, but through subversive actions such as dubbing a urinal art and naming it Fountain.

Henri Matisse - French artist, known for his use of colour and his fluid and original draughtsmanship. He was a draughtsman, printmaker, andsculptor, but is known primarily as a painter. Matisse is commonly regarded, along with Picasso and Marcel Duchamp, as one of the three artists who helped to define the revolutionary developments in the plastic arts in the opening decades of 20th century, responsible for significant developments in painting and sculpture.
Marc Chagall - was a Belarusian (that time Russian Empire) French artist, associated with several keyart movements and was one of the most successful artists of the 20th century. He created unique works in virtually every artistic medium, including painting, book illustrations, stained glass, stage sets, ceramic, tapestries and fine art prints. Chagall's haunting, exuberant, and poetic images have wide appeal, with art critic Robert Hughes referring to him as "the quintessential Jewish artist of the twentieth century."  

Jean Cocteau (poet) Aaron Copland (American composer), Janet Flanner (the New Yorker's Genet-American writer and journalist)

Georges Braque[p] (13 May 1882 – 31 August 1963) was a major 20th century French painter and sculptor who, along with Pablo Picasso, developed the art movement known as Cubism.



Also, I have decided I am joining a a class at  http://wih.org
The Women's Institute of Houston
2202 Avalon Place
Houston, Texas 77019
I am deciding from the following classes.
PICASSO AND BRAQUE
David E. Brauer / 12 weeks, Wednesday afternoons, 1:00-3:00 / Starting February 3, 2011
ASTONISHING ART THROUGH THE AGES
Fernando Casas / 8 weeks, Monday mornings, 10:00-12:00 / Starting February 7, 2011
MASTERPIECES FROM THE NATIONAL GALLERY
David E. Brauer / 12 weeks, Wednesday afternoons, 1:00-3:00 / Starting February 2, 2011

I think I am going to take Picasso and National Gallery, I have asked for my advisor Hannah’s advice, so we will see what she thinks, this is to be decided.  

My good friend Hans, artist, has started a studio.  I meet with him on Thursday! Excited about that too!  
214 E 27TH St. Houston TX to Schedule a preview call Hans Payan

OK - AND THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEKEND was meeting and listening to the Artist Talk at Museum of Fine Arts Houston by SANJAY PATEL - he is an animator and storyboard artist at Pixar Animation Studios.  His known for his works in films including, Monsters, A bug’s life, Toy Story 3 and was presenting his Little Book of Hindu Ddeities & Ramayna.  
http://gheehappy.com/
When I met him I promised him I would paint him the picture, his favorite picture that is in the picture below!  :) Excite for the challenge!   
In his talk he mentioned a pretty awesome website, I thought I would www.kuler.com - COLORS, check it out when you get a chance.
ME AND SANJAY PATEL!
Lastly, reactivated my Netflix account to watch art documentaries, need to learn more, about to cancel useless and brain wasting space cable!  That is my new quest.  Feel like I do not have enough time in my day. I have also painted a picture of my parents for there anniversary. Once I take a better picture I will post. Alright I think that is enough information overload. Till later. Signing off......Tanya!

No comments:

Post a Comment